I discovered Yuval Harari’s book: Sapiens: A Brief History of Mankind, in one of my favorite Youtube channels: Alux.com. Alux’s wonderful description of the book in, 15 Books You Should Read This Summer, made me purchase it. I read the book, and I don’t regret buying it.
Sapiens is the best book I have read in 2018. The book narrates how man evolved and makes you understand where our belief systems came from. It also provides mind-opening information about religion, political structures, the importance of knowledge and the main factors that enabled Europe to conquer the world.
The most powerful lesson I learned from the book is ‘KNOWLEDGE IS POWER,’ because knowledge was what enabled the Europeans to colonize the whole world.
I gathered the following insightful quotes from the book.
- “Buddha spent six years meditating on the essence, causes, and cures for human anguish. In the end, he came to the realization that suffering is not caused by ill fortune, by social injustice, or by divine whims. Rather, suffering is caused by the behavior patterns of one’s minds.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “As Nietzsche put it, if you have a WHY to live, you can bear almost any ‘HOW.’ A meaningful life can be extremely satisfying even in the midst of hardship whereas a meaningless life is a terrible ordeal no matter how comfortable it is.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “In the Middle Ages, the rich spent their money carelessly on extravagant luxuries, whereas peasants lived frugally minding every penny. Today, the tables have turned. The rich take great care managing their assets and investments while the less well go into debt buying cars and televisions they don’t really need.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “If you experience sadness without craving the sadness to go away, you continue to feel sadness but you don’t suffer from it. There can actually be richness in the sadness. If you experience joy without craving that the joy lingers and intensifies, you continue to feel joy without losing your peace of mind” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “Both scientist and conqueror began by admitting ignorance – they both said, I don’t know what’s out there. They both felt to go out and make new discoveries. And they both hoped the new knowledge thus acquired would make them masters of the world.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “The supreme commandment of the rich is ‘Invest! The supreme commandment of the rest of us is Buy! – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “In the previous eras, the standard of beauty was set by the handful of people who lived next door to you. Today the media and the fashion industry expose us to a totally unrealistic standard of beauty. They search out the most gorgeous people on the planet and then parade them constantly before our eyes. No wonder we are far less happy with the way we look.’ – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “The findings demonstrate that happiness is not the surplus of pleasant over unpleasant moments. Rather happiness consists in seeing one’s life in its entirety as meaningful and worthwhile.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “If God knew in advance that a particular person would use her free will to choose evil, and that as a result she would be punished for this by eternal tortures in hell. Why did God create her?” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- Monotheism explains order but is mystified by evil. Dualism explains evil but is puzzled by order. There is one logical way of solving the riddle: to argue that there is a single Omnipotent God who created the entire universe – and he’s evil. But nobody in history has had the stomach for such a belief.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “The most cherished desires of the present-day are shaped by romantic, nationalist, capitalist and humanist myths that have been around for centuries. Friends giving advice often tell each other, ‘Follow your heart.’ But the heart is a double agent that usually takes its instructions from dominant myths of the day, and the very recommendation to ‘follow your heart’ was implanted in our minds by a combination of nineteenth-century Romantic myths and twentieth-century consumerist myths.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
Which do you think is the most enlightening quote?
I encourage you to follow me on Twitter (Isaac Wechuli) and Facebook (Wechul Isaac) for more discussions and insightful quotes.
You are also welcome to join my facebook group Unbounded Wisdom Community for further discussions and insightful quotes.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE
15 Life-Changing John Cena Quotes
John Cena is a professional wrestler and actor who once lived in his car and cleaned toilets for a living. He is a humble celebrity and many people love him. Recently, a South African rapper released a song named John Cena, and Cena avoided taking legal action against her because he didn’t want to take her efforts away.
Anyway, besides watching him fight and act, I love listening to his life-changing pieces of advice.
Here are his top pieces of advice about life and success.
- ‘I have often said a man’s character is not judged after he celebrates victory but by what he does when his back is against the wall. So no matter how great the setback, how severe the failure, you never give up. You pick yourself up, you brush yourself off, you push forward, you move on, you adapt, you overcome. That is what I believe.’
- ‘Surround yourself with wonderful people, be willing to learn, be willing to be humbled, and good stuff will happen.’
- ‘Don’t waste time and energy over the uncontrollable.’
- ‘To succeed I had to believe every night that I am the best.’
- ‘I’ve never been closed-minded to anyone’s opinion because you can learn from everybody.’
- ‘Take what you have and make it something great.’
- ‘No matter what you do, be yourself, and love what you do.’
- ‘Failure has made me who I am today. Failure gives you two choices, you stay down or you get up.’
- ‘Always try to do what you love. It’s always possible. It’s just a matter of sacrifice.’
- ‘I took risk, after risk, after risk.’
- ‘Check for your knob, and if you can find a knob it’s your door.’
- ‘Never give up. I have failed tens of thousands of times.’
- ‘If you don’t learn from your mistakes, they become regrets.’
- ‘The reason I have got to the finish line only a few times through all that failure is because through that failure I got back up.’
- ‘The future shows a lot of promise, but I think we should focus on the now.’
17 Enlightening Bob Marley Quotes
Bob Marley was a famous reggae musician who died in 1981. According to many news sources, cancer was the cause of Bob Marley’s death. However, conspiracy theorists believe Bob Marley was assassinated by the elite because of his revolutionary lyrics. According to them, the elite feared Bob Marley’s lyrics would awaken the masses by providing them with enlightening knowledge.
This article provides you with 17 enlightening Bob Marley Quotes.
- ‘The way you’ve been taught about the Bible is not the way of the Bible.’
- ‘The greatest thing is the life we are dealing with, but the preachers tell you that you have to die to go to heaven.’
- ‘The Bible tells you that you have to live in heaven. Therefore, you don’t have to die and go to heaven.’
- ‘My life is only important if I can help many people.’
- ‘I don’t come to bow; I come to conquer.’
- ‘In everything you are going to do, there is a wrong way and a right way. And if you listen good, you will know the right way.’
- ‘Every law is illegal; every government upon the face of the earth today is illegal.’
- ‘People drink a lot of alcohol, and they get drunk. When you get drunk, you don’t meditate. You’re just drunk, and you feel miserable. But when you smoke, it makes you cool, and stimulates your mind.’
- ‘What people do with their lives, I don’t know, but I know what I do with my own life.’
- ‘School doesn’t teach people about their true history and where mankind came from.’
- ‘They tell you that people come from monkey. How come the monkey doesn’t change any more.’
- ‘It’s a very tricky world. You got to be yourself.’
- ‘Truth is everyone is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones suffering for.’
- ‘My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die.’
- ‘‘Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.’
- ‘The day you stop racing is the day you win the race.’
- ‘Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.’
You are welcome to my facebook community, the unbounded wisdom community, for insightful quotes and ideas.
QUOTES2 years ago
My Top 13 Favourite Quotes from Mark Manson’s Book: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*?k
SUCCESS2 years ago
The Power of Hard work: 4 Outstanding Effects of Hard Work That Make it The Father of Prosperity
GENERAL ADVICE2 years ago
Live Your Life Because There Is No Timeline of Where You Have to Be or What You Should Be Doing at Any Specific Time/Age
GENERAL ADVICE2 years ago
5 Harmful Effects of Competition That Will Make You Quit Competing Right Now
SUCCESS2 years ago
Top 5 Lessons You Can Learn From Eminem’s Success Story – (Net worth – $190 Million)
IDEAS2 years ago
Why You Must Reclaim Your Dignity
SUCCESS2 years ago
I Just Realized 5 Great Sacrifices We Have to Make for Us to Be Filthy Rich
Motivation2 years ago
Why You Should Think Higher Thoughts
HIDDEN TRUTHS2 years ago
Does Religion or Spirituality Influence Financial Success? Find Out.
Book Review2 years ago
6 Lessons You Can Learn From Robert Schuller’s Book: Tough Times Never Last but Tough People Do.