I discovered Yuval Harari’s book: Sapiens: A Brief History of Mankind, in one of my favorite Youtube channels: Alux.com. Alux’s wonderful description of the book in, 15 Books You Should Read This Summer, made me purchase it. I read the book, and I don’t regret buying it.
Sapiens is the best book I have read in 2018. The book narrates how man evolved and makes you understand where our belief systems came from. It also provides mind-opening information about religion, political structures, the importance of knowledge and the main factors that enabled Europe to conquer the world.
The most powerful lesson I learned from the book is ‘KNOWLEDGE IS POWER,’ because knowledge was what enabled the Europeans to colonize the whole world.
I gathered the following insightful quotes from the book.
- “Buddha spent six years meditating on the essence, causes, and cures for human anguish. In the end, he came to the realization that suffering is not caused by ill fortune, by social injustice, or by divine whims. Rather, suffering is caused by the behavior patterns of one’s minds.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “As Nietzsche put it, if you have a WHY to live, you can bear almost any ‘HOW.’ A meaningful life can be extremely satisfying even in the midst of hardship whereas a meaningless life is a terrible ordeal no matter how comfortable it is.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “In the Middle Ages, the rich spent their money carelessly on extravagant luxuries, whereas peasants lived frugally minding every penny. Today, the tables have turned. The rich take great care managing their assets and investments while the less well go into debt buying cars and televisions they don’t really need.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “If you experience sadness without craving the sadness to go away, you continue to feel sadness but you don’t suffer from it. There can actually be richness in the sadness. If you experience joy without craving that the joy lingers and intensifies, you continue to feel joy without losing your peace of mind” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “Both scientist and conqueror began by admitting ignorance – they both said, I don’t know what’s out there. They both felt to go out and make new discoveries. And they both hoped the new knowledge thus acquired would make them masters of the world.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “The supreme commandment of the rich is ‘Invest! The supreme commandment of the rest of us is Buy! – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “In the previous eras, the standard of beauty was set by the handful of people who lived next door to you. Today the media and the fashion industry expose us to a totally unrealistic standard of beauty. They search out the most gorgeous people on the planet and then parade them constantly before our eyes. No wonder we are far less happy with the way we look.’ – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “The findings demonstrate that happiness is not the surplus of pleasant over unpleasant moments. Rather happiness consists in seeing one’s life in its entirety as meaningful and worthwhile.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “If God knew in advance that a particular person would use her free will to choose evil, and that as a result she would be punished for this by eternal tortures in hell. Why did God create her?” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- Monotheism explains order but is mystified by evil. Dualism explains evil but is puzzled by order. There is one logical way of solving the riddle: to argue that there is a single Omnipotent God who created the entire universe – and he’s evil. But nobody in history has had the stomach for such a belief.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
- “The most cherished desires of the present-day are shaped by romantic, nationalist, capitalist and humanist myths that have been around for centuries. Friends giving advice often tell each other, ‘Follow your heart.’ But the heart is a double agent that usually takes its instructions from dominant myths of the day, and the very recommendation to ‘follow your heart’ was implanted in our minds by a combination of nineteenth-century Romantic myths and twentieth-century consumerist myths.” – Yuval Noah Harari.
Which do you think is the most enlightening quote?
I encourage you to follow me on Twitter (Isaac Wechuli) and Facebook (Wechul Isaac) for more discussions and insightful quotes.
You are also welcome to join my facebook group Unbounded Wisdom Community for further discussions and insightful quotes.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE
Top 24 Intriguing Quotes from Mastery by Robert Greene – Part 1
Mastery, by Robert Green, is one of the most amazing books I’ve ever read. The book is important to all individuals who want to be highly skilled in their fields because it teaches everything one must do to achieve mastery. Robert Greene makes the book more interesting by using the lives of great folks such as Benjamin Franklin and Michael Faraday to explain how one can attain mastery in any field.
Here are 24 intriguing quotes I picked from mastery.
- ‘Many of the greatest masters in history have confessed to experiencing some kind of force or voice or sense of destiny that has guided them forward.’
- ‘All of us are born unique. This uniqueness is marked genetically in our DNA. We are a one-time phenomenon in the universe – our exact genetic makeup has never occurred before, nor will it ever be repeated.’
- ‘You must understand the following; in order to master a field, you must love the subject and feel a profound connection to it. Your interest must transcend the field itself and border on the religious.
- ‘Scoff at the need for attention and approval – they will lead you astray.’
- ‘If change is forced upon you, you must resist the temptation to overreact.’
- ‘Do not dream or make grand plans for the future, but instead, concentrate on becoming proficient at these simple and immediate skills. This will bring you confidence and become a base which you can expand to other pursuits.’
- ‘Do not envy those who seem to be naturally gifted; it is often a curse, as such types rarely learn the value of diligence and focus, and they pay for this later in life.’
- ‘The greatest mistake you can make in the initial months of your apprenticeship is to imagine that you have to get attention, impress people, and prove yourself.’
- ‘It is better to dedicate two or three hours of intense focus to a skill than to spend eight hours of diffused concentration on it. You want to be as immediately as present to what you are doing as possible.’
- ‘In essence, when you practice and develop any skill, you transform yourself into the process. You reveal to yourself new capabilities that were previously latent, that are exposed as you progress.’
- ‘Although it might seem that the time necessary to master the requisite skills and attain a level of expertise would depend on the field and talent level, those who have researched the subject repeatedly come up with the number of 10,000 hours.’
- ‘To build anything well – a house, a political organization, a business, or a film – you must understand the building process and possess the necessary skills.’
- ‘You must value learning above everything else. This will lead you to all of the right choices.’
- ‘The people in your field, in your immediate circle, are like worlds unto themselves-their stories and viewpoints will naturally expand your horizons and build up your social skills. Mingle with as many different types of people as possible.’
- ‘When you enter a new environment, your task is to learn and absorb as much as possible. For that purpose, you must try to revert to a childlike feeling of inferiority – the feeling that others know much more than you.
- ‘To learn requires a sense of humility. We must admit that there are people out there who know our field much more deeply than we do. Their superiority is not a function of natural talent or privilege, but rather of time and experience.’
- ‘Mentors do not give you a shortcut, but they streamline the process.’
- ‘Masters are those who by nature have suffered to get where they are. They have experienced endless criticisms of their work, doubts about their progress, and setbacks along the way.’
- ‘To make a discovery, to invent something that connects with the public, to fashion a work of art that is meaningful, inevitably requires time and effort. This often entails years of experimentation, various setbacks and failures, and the need to maintain a high level of focus.’
- ‘If you are doing something primarily for money and without real emotional commitment, it will translate into something that lacks a soul, and that has no connection to you. You may not see this, but you can be sure that the public will feel it and that they will receive your work in the same lackluster spirit it was created in.’
- ‘The higher the goal, the more energy you will call up from deep within.’
- ‘You must let go of your need for comfort and security. Creative endeavors are by their nature uncertain.’
- ‘As you work to free up your mind and give it the power to alter its perspective, remember the following: the emotions we experience at any time have an inordinate influence on how we perceive the world.’
- ‘You must always try to work with deadlines, whether real or manufactured. Faced with the slenderest amount of time to reach the end, the mind rises to the level you require.
- All of us have access to a higher form of intelligence, one that can allow us to see more of the world, to anticipate trends, to respond with speed and accuracy to any circumstance. This intelligence is cultivated by deeply immersing ourselves in a field of study and staying true to our inclinations, no matter how unconventional our approach might seem.’
Which of the above quotes from Mastery did you like the most?
19 Life Changing Denzel Washington Quotes – (Net worth – $220 million)
Denzel Washington is a successful American actor with several awards. His $220 million net worth is a reflection of his hard work and commitment to the entertainment industry.
Besides acting, Denzel Washington loves advising young people that success is possible as long as they work hard and put God first.
Here are some of his wonderful pearls of wisdom I must share with you.
- ‘Without commitment, you’ll never start, but more importantly, without consistency, you’ll never finish.’
- ‘Nothing in life is worthwhile unless you take risks.’
- ‘’You can have anything good you want, so claim it. Work hard to get it. When you get it reach back and pull someone else up.’
- ‘Whatever your gift is, what are you going to do with what you have?’
- ‘If you don’t fail, you are not even trying.’
- ‘Don’t be afraid to fail big and dream big.’
- ‘Don’t just aspire to make a living. Aspire to make a difference.’
- ‘Goals on the road to achievement cannot be achieved without discipline and consistency.’
- ‘You attract not just what you fear, you attract what you feel, and what you are.’
- ‘Just because you are doing more, doesn’t mean you are getting a lot more done.’
- ‘Ease is a greater threat to progress than hardship.’
- ‘Every failed experiment is one step closer to success. You’ve got to take risks.’
- ‘If I am going to fall, I don’t wanna fall back on anything except my faith.’
- ‘True desire in the heart for anything good is God’s prove to you to indicate that it’s yours already.’
- ‘You only live once, so do what you feel passionate about.’
- ‘Hard work works.’
- ‘Keep moving; keep growing, keep learning. See you at work.’
- ‘I don’t think I could continue to do what I do if I was constantly worrying about what somebody thought about it.’
- ‘You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too. That’s a part of it.’
Hope you enjoyed Denzel Washington’s quotes.
Do you want to AWAKEN and know what’s HIDDEN from you? Subscribe to get a free copy of my 14 page – book: Awaken from The Deep Sleep
QUOTES1 year ago
My Top 13 Favourite Quotes from Mark Manson’s Book: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*?k
SUCCESS1 year ago
The Power of Hard work: 4 Outstanding Effects of Hard Work That Make it The Father of Prosperity
GENERAL ADVICE1 year ago
Live Your Life Because There Is No Timeline of Where You Have to Be or What You Should Be Doing at Any Specific Time/Age
SUCCESS1 year ago
Top 5 Lessons You Can Learn From Eminem’s Success Story – (Net worth – $190 Million)
IDEAS2 years ago
Why You Must Reclaim Your Dignity
SUCCESS1 year ago
I Just Realized 5 Great Sacrifices We Have to Make for Us to Be Filthy Rich
Motivation2 years ago
Why You Should Think Higher Thoughts
HIDDEN TRUTHS1 year ago
Does Religion or Spirituality Influence Financial Success? Find Out.
GENERAL ADVICE1 year ago
5 Harmful Effects of Competition That Will Make You Quit Competing Right Now
SUCCESS12 months ago
6 Types of People Who Progress Faster