Eckhart Tolle is a magnificent spiritual teacher who loves teaching about the ego and the importance of living in the present moment. He’s best known for his best-seller, ‘The Power of Now,’ which is an amazing book.
In this article, I will share with you some of his magnificent quotes on the ego.
- Jesus said, ‘deny thyself,’ which means, ‘recognize the unreality of the ego.’
- ‘You can value and care for things, but whenever you get attached to them, you will know it’s the ego.’
- ‘The ego itself is that dysfunctional way in which the mind works.’
- ‘There is no ego apart from thoughts, the identification with thoughts is ego.’
- ‘The ego always needs more because the ego lives in a state of constant insufficiency.’
- ‘The egoic mind is completely conditioned by the past.’
- ‘Whenever you completely accept a loss, you go beyond ego, and who you are, the I am, which is consciousness itself, emerges.’
- ‘The identification with thinking becomes ego. Which means simply that you believe in every thought that arises and you derive your sense of who you are from what your mind is telling you who you are.’
- ‘To become free of ego means becoming free of thought.’
- ‘As we shall see later, making yourself right and others wrong is one of the principal egoic mind patterns.’
- ‘The ego cannot dissolve itself but in the light of awareness it dissolves.’
- ‘The ego has all kinds of ideas of what it wants to be because it wants to have a better image of itself.’
- ‘Don’t take the ego too seriously. When you detect egoic behavior in yourself, smile. At times you may even laugh.’